UFC 118 pay figures are out and boy does it feel like James Toney took MMA for a half million dollar ride. At least we can take a little bit of pleasure in knowing he’ll probably just drop the money on another ridiculous diamond encrusted watch and be broke again in a few months. There’s even rumors that the IRS got first dibs on Toney’s money, which makes me feel a little bit better about him sitting at the top of this payout list.
As usual, salaries are arranged from highest paid to lowest paid.
- James Toney: $500,000
- Randy Couture: $250,000 (no win bonus)
- B.J. Penn: $150,000
- Nate Diaz: $120,000 ($30k win bonus + 60k FOTN)
- Frankie Edgar: $96,000 ($48,000 win bonus)
- Marcus Davis: $91,000 ($60k FOTN bonus)
- Joe Lauzon: $84,000 ($12k win bonus + 60k SOTN)
- Demian Maia: $68,000 ($34,000 win bonus)
- Kenny Florian: $65,000
- Gray Maynard: $46,000 ($23,000 win bonus)
- Dan Miller: $30,000 ($15,000 win bonus)
- Mike Pierce: $24,000 ($12,000 win bonus)
- Nik Lentz: $22,000 ($11,000 win bonus)
- Greg Soto: $12,000 ($6,000 win bonus)
- Nick Osipczak: $10,000
- Andre Winner: $10,000
- Mario Miranda: $8,000
- John Salter: $8,000
- Gabe Ruediger: $8,000
- Amilcar Alves: $6,000
Keep in mind BJ Penn also got a piece of the PPV action which pretty much guarantees he’s making over a million for this fight. Frankie Edgar … not so much. I’m not sure what the deal was for Randy Couture vs James Toney. What classifies as a headlining match (and therefore qualifies you for your PPV cut) is something the UFC has some wiggle room with.
This was like the TUF 5 reunion featuring coach BJ Penn and contestants Gray Maynard, Nate Diaz, Joe Lauzon and Gabe Ruediger. Nate (30k/30k) already makes more money than Gray (23k/23k) even though he’s got a worse record. Goes to show you being a boring wrestler isn’t always what it’s cracked up to be. I’m sure Gabe Ruediger is glad he’s not getting fired … an 8k / 8k contract ain’t the best, but it’s still 8x more than he’s liable to make outside the organization.
Now that Dan Miller has won and has a nice 30k chunk of cash in his bank account, hopefully we can move on from feeling sorry for him and onto being excited about his future fights.