Anderson Silva will be given an opportunity to earn a spot on the 2016 Brazil Summer Olympic taekwondo team.
Silva, who held a press conference on Wednesday alongside Brazilian Taekwondo Federation president Carlos Fernandes, stated his plans to tryout for the team in January.
“I stopped training taekwondo when I was 17 so it’s going to be tough, because taekwondo is very different today,” Silva said (thanks to MMAFighting.com for the quotes). “I’m not worried about being embarrassed by the other athletes. For everything sport gave to me, I will try to give it back.
“I don’t have anything to prove. I’m here to help the sport and make it stronger.”
Silva, a former UFC middleweight champion, returned from a year-long layoff to defeat Nick Diaz earlier this year. After the fight, though, his drug test results came back positive for banned substances. “The Spider” has yet to have his second hearing ahead of the Nevada Athletic Commission.
Fernandes added that Silva will need to score enough points in competitions in the heavyweight division to earn a spot on the team, saying “The rules will be respected.”
Regarding the NAC possibly handing him a suspension that could include the Olympics, Silva said “if they stop me, I would respect it.”