What’s the point of creating an interim belt if you’re not going to make the holder defend it? That was the existential question pondered by many when the UFC announced Carlos Condit would ride a bench after defeating Nick Diaz until real champ Georges St Pierre was back in action. Sure, there were some mitigating circumstances … Carlos has had his shot vs GSP yanked out from under him more times than Charlie Brown and that football. But with guys like Johny Hendricks and Martin Kampmann waiting in the wings, surely the UFC would want to set up an extra fight before St Pierre’s expected return in November? Not so, according to Condit:
“The bottom line is that the UFC has not offered me another fight. I haven’t been contacted, nor has my management been contacted about fighting anybody else other than Georges St-Pierre,” Condit told Bleacher Report in an exclusive interview during last week’s UFC Fan Expo in Las Vegas. “So Georges is the guy I want. And if the UFC wants that fight, I’m content to wait for him to be ready. If it’s in November, of course.”
“If it’s going to be longer, then I will entertain the idea of taking another fight,” Condit said. “As far as I know, Georges’ recovery is on track, and he’s going to be ready to go November 17.”
Well how noble of you sir to entertain the idea. The Romans had it right: the second you start treating gladiators nicely instead of dropping them into a pit with man eating tigers, they start getting uppity and the whole system goes to sh*t. Demands start being made, fights start being resisted, and fans start banging their heads against a wall.
Fortunately, it sounds like there won’t be a delay in Georges St Pierre’s recovery. He recently posted on his Facebook that “Knee rehab is over and the fighter is back!!!” so that’s good. As for Hendricks and Kampmann, here’s a crazy concept: how about making them fight each other in the meantime. If they’ll entertain the idea, of course.