twitter google

UFC claims internet works differently for them

Home Forums MMA Related UFC claims internet works differently for them

This topic contains 14 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  DJ ThunderElbows 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

UFC Official Statement Regarding Hackageddon from MMA Fighting

On Sunday, January 22nd, the UFC.com website was redirected by a criminal hacker to another website,” a statement provided to MMA Fighting read. “The UFC website was quickly restored to the control of the UFC, and there is no evidence suggesting that any confidential information belonging to the company or its customers was compromised by the re-direction of the website. UFC representatives are continuing to investigate the matter and are working with law enforcement agents to prosecute those involved.

Best scenario for PR: a DNS redirect/change of some sort.

Although it sounds unlikely given the situation.  DNS redirects wouldn’t have compromised the Twitter account for TUF.  Either they are suspiciously choosing to leave that out or they run on a different series of tubes than the rest of us.  On our internet, DNS tell your browser what IP address RIPITINTOPIECES.org is at, and then your browser fetches that info.  This would explain the Hitler page, but not the twitter account.

Perhaps their web developer was compromised?  Will the UG be next?

If so it raises the issue of whether they can be sure the intruder left nothing behind, which is likely why the redirect story is what they’ve used.  They almost certainly don’t store credit card data, but it passes through their servers and could be collected in the future if any of their hardware’s been rooted. 

Hopefully someone who’s doing the cleanup and forensics check of their servers knows their shit better than Zuffa’s PR.

thingvolds

interesting perspective.

frickshun

Omomatta

Wouldn’t “criminal hacker” mean this individual was currently serving time in prison? I figured they’d at least monitor interweb usage in the clink.

glassjawsh

I didnt understand any of that

to be fair though, I didnt read any of it either

I can’t imagine why our library system is a failure.

iamphoenix

josh’s wallet is also a failure.

Letibleu

They hacked a root DNS server, not UFC.com itself. UFC supports SOPA and any entity that supports that bill gets in trouble.

frickshun

Phoeniggz=HAHA!!

They hacked a root DNS server, not UFC.com itself.

This is unlikely, but you’re on the right track, as they probably poisoned a few DNS caches.  Which is probably why some people got other pages like the Fedor HL.

Still doesn’t explain how they got to the Twitter account at the same time.  This is why I think it could be a web developer/presence manager who’s been violated.  They did not address that aspect of it which is why I’m curious.

Letibleu

yup.

glassjawsh

who said our library system is a failure? other than massive budget cuts that are outside of our control I’d say it’s doing fine

CAP

microfiche FTW!!

glassjawsh

haha!! you’re old

CAP

get off my lawn.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Archives