twitter google

Melendez v Alvarez is dead. OR Strikeforce’s belts mean nothing anymore.

Home Forums MMA Related Melendez v Alvarez is dead. OR Strikeforce’s belts mean nothing anymore.

This topic contains 16 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  pewnt 6 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

pewnt

Source:
    http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2010/12/17/1881390/strikeforce-champ-melendez-alvarez-fight-is-dead-wants-daley

So a cross promotion fight fails and, the light weight champ calls out Dailey ?? WTF!!

He claims he has cleaned out the Strikeforce LW division (hard to argue). Gilbert has held a belt for Strikeforce for almost all of the last four YEARS. How pathetic is it that a promotion cannot develope talent in that time frame.

*** Note to Coker **************************

Call Gibert today, and offer him Thompson, or Beerbohm.

The Thompson rubber match could be good.

Beerbohm (15-0) could be promoted as well.

Have him fight one in the first quater of 2011. Have him fight the other in the second, or third quater of 2011. This will keep him active, even if there is little risk of losing the “title”.

Scoop up all the lightweight cast offs from the WEC/UFC merger. Throw the biggest names into a mini tournement (don’t have to promote it that way). Whoever comes out looking the best…..fights Gilbert in the fourth quater of 2011.

If I were Gilbert, I would vacate my belt. Finish my contract doing a few fun fights. GET THE FUCK OUT OF STRIKEFORCE.

subo

Your title indicates that Strikeforce’s belts meant something up until now.

Oh, co-promotion.

pewnt

Up until very recently I did give Strikeforce belt’s (beside the 1 defense/3 years HW belt) a little bit of meaning out of respect for the fighters holding them. That’s gone now.

– The 170 is fighting 155’ers
    – the 155 is calling out 170’s
    – 205 , and 185 are a little better

CAP

Too bad I was really looking forward to Alvarez/Melendez if they could actually make it happen. Alvarez looked very impressive with the way he wrecked Huerta. Eddie is the guy that needs better fights to get some recognition.

All Strikeforce can do is reshuffle their shallow deck of cards which can’t last forever.

Hope he gets to Zuffa before he’s fully wasted his prime.

thingvolds

“Your title indicates that Strikeforce’s belts meant something up until now.”

guys like jacare and melendez have dedicated the better part of their lives to achieve strikeforce belts. but according to you, all theyve done with their lives is meaningless.

glassjawsh

“Melendez v Alvarez is dead. OR Strikeforce’s belts mean nothing anymore.”

can’t it be both?

just get in the ufc already

Symbul

Belts mean nothing without a history and lineage behind them. Strikeforce has legit champions who are world-class fighters but the belts didn’t make them that. They just happen to be Strikeforce champions too. Daniel Cormier is the KotC Heavyweight champion. Everyone who isn’t Cecil Peoples will tell you that’s a meaningless title, but that doesn’t diminish Cormier’s status.

Maybe one day Strikeforce will have legitimate divisions and established titles that mean something but that’s not the reality right now for most if not all of their weight classes.

Melendez is their best established champion by far but he’s not ruling a dynamic and extensive division. Look at his record. The only fighter he’s fought in the near past who’s still in Strikeforce is Thomson.

I never understood why people got so fired up about the Melendez-Alvarez pipe dream. It was obviously never going to happen, but it kept Bellator in the news cycle so win-win for them.

Everyone who isn’t Cecil Peoples will tell you that’s a meaningless title, but that doesn’t diminish Cormier’s skills.

Fixed.

The only titles in SF that are not a complete joke are there females titles.

Most of the good fighters in SF will tell you they hope to be in the UFC someday to really prove themselves. Except the douchebags that get payed out the ass by SF like Thompson, Melendez, Lashley, Diaz, and Fedor all these scrubs get payed to much to openly admit they want to be in the UFC.

Trust me the REAL fighters want to be in the UFC, a SF belt means nothing…sorry.

Eh, fun fights are fun fights. I ain’t complaining about SF.

Belts, in the end, aren’t that important.

G Funk

And Pewnt and Sub-oh have become peepee touchers…with eachother.

Also somebody tell me how a cross-promotional fight makes a belt worth more?

subo

^ Because you’re combining the shitty irrelevance of two belts into the crappy kind-of relevance of one.

1 pound of shit plus another pound of shit equals 2 pounds of shit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Archives