twitter google

If MMA is growing, which other sports are shrinking?

Home Forums MMA Related If MMA is growing, which other sports are shrinking?

This topic contains 21 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  P W 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

P W

Since the amount of spare time people can allot to follow/practice sports remains fairly constant, the growth of MMA must occur on some other sports’ expense. Which ones? Are all new MMA fans former pro wrestling nerds, or what’s the deal?

Personally, I’ve totally given up on watching motor sports since I started following combat sports. I still manage to find time to follow basketball though, but not with the same attention as pre-MMA.

Back when I was training shooto two or sometimes three times a week, it replaced my normal exercise routine at the gym.

How about the rest of the jackals?

glassjawsh

before mma, i used to watch golf, the nfl, college football and premier league soccer. now it’s just MMA, K-1 and my first love college basketball (with the occasional purdue football game)

YEAH RIGHT

Uhh football. I still like watching college/pro and ill watch sportscenter a couple times a week, but im definitely not the most up to date.

I follow MMA the most of any fight sport because it has the most coverage. I also follow kickboxing/muay thai as well as boxing.

Ps: pacquiao vs margarito saturday!!! Dope!

pewnt

I only watched Hockey growing up. Started watching combat sports around 13-14, and never looked back.

Smaller sports will be hurt most. X games stuff. Baseball, hockey, soccer, all types of racing, rugby, football, have a limited global appeal. They have some places where it is big, others, not so much. Even soccer has trouble supporting a pro league in North America. It exists but it’s not pulling MLB, NBA, NHL, NFL ratings on average.

EX. I am sure there is a market for auto racing in India, but Nascar may never make a penny in that market.

The UFC is showing that MMA can be marketed on a global level. They are tapping into markets that other sports could only dream of.

“Hey, wanna go watch some fights?” translates well.

I’d say the most obvious candidate to be adversely affected by MMA’s growth would be boxing. I’m not sure it’s tangible yet, but there’s a reason boxing promoters (especially over here in Germany) fight MMA with every fiber of their being…

BTW, pewnt, there is an Indian Formula One team (Force India) and there will soon be an Indian GP as well (I think… it’s not confirmed, yet), so you’re right, there is a market for racing. But outside of North America, hardly anyone thinks of NASCAR when someone talks about motorsports.

Personally, I stopped watching Basketball altogether sometime after I started watching MMA. I used to play but I never really enjoyed watching it that much, so it wasn’t really hard giving it up.

Plus, I stopped talking to my family. Enormous timesaver. 😉

pewnt

“Plus, I stopped talking to my family. Enormous timesaver. ;)”

LMAO!

YEAH RIGHT

Interesting thing about boxing dying and being hurt by mma, the UFC has realized that they CANNOT go head to head with when Pacquaio or Mayweather fight, they get killed every single time. Probably why this upcoming event is free (yes, i know whenever they go to europe they generally make them free on spike). Those are the only cash cows left in boxing though, but damn are they big mother fuckin cows.

I’d say since I started watching MMA I haven’t really stopped watching any other sport I’m still one of the biggest baseball fans you can find, still watch college football on saturday, watch nfl on sunday, watch a lot of nba, watch a lot college basketball, and I even tune in to somewhat relevant boxing matches when they’re on hbo. I guess I don’t rent boxing matches anymore that much anymore so I guess that fell off kinda then again it really fell off to me when Roy Jones started losing.

I didn’t watch sports at all until I got into MMA.

I watched a little NCAA in high school because I had to, but that’s about it.
    I always thought most team sports were for gay men.

MMA only strengthens that conviction.

Also, i don’t think MMA will get that much bigger than boxing was in its prime, though it might be a bit more international.

I doubt it will ever be bigger than Soccer or something.

Dana White will probably quit in the next 10 years and nobody else will carry the sport the way he has.

pewnt

Yeah Right,

– Pacquaio or Mayweather are tough for the UFC to go head to head with.
    – UFC can sell as many PPV as Pacquaio or Mayweather.
    – Other than Pacquaio or Mayweather who draws in boxing? Who is the young guy coming up that can sell 250k ppv’s right now?

Top five PPV of ’09

1.) UFC 100 Lesnar vs Mir / St Pierre vs Alves – 1,500,000+ buys
    2.) Pacquiao vs Cotto – 1,250,000 buys
    3.) UFC 101 – Penn vs Florian / A. Silva vs Griffin – 1,100,000 buys
    4.) Mayweather vs. Marquez – 1,000,000+ buys
    5.) UFC 94 – Penn vs St Pierre 2 – 800,000 buys

Pacquaio or Mayweather fight once maybe or twice a year right now, but for how long? The thing none of the Boxing fans can answer is “Who’s Next?”.

Boxing cannot survive using it’s current business model. They need to evolve.

G Funk

Pewnt said,”Other than Pacquaio or Mayweather who draws in boxing?”

Yeah Right previously said, “Those are the only cash cows left in boxing though, but damn are they big mother fuckin cows.”

Isn’t it great when people ask questions that have already been answered.

Yeah right said,”the UFC has realized that they CANNOT go head to head with when Pacquaio or Mayweather fight, they get killed every single time.”

Pewnt, do you know what HEAD TO HEAD means? You just love to keep the boat moving though it has obviously docked.

YEAH RIGHT

Yeah, you didnt do a very good job of reading my post, pewnt.

you-“- Other than Pacquaio or Mayweather who draws in boxing? Who is the young guy coming up that can sell 250k ppv’s right now?”

me-“Those are the only cash cows left in boxing though, but damn are they big mother fuckin cows.”

you-“Pacquaio or Mayweather fight once maybe or twice a year right now, but for how long? The thing none of the Boxing fans can answer is “Who’s Next?”.

Refer to the previous answer.

I agree boxings dead. All they have is pac and mayweather

You should look up when they do go head to head (that means they have shows on the same night) and see what you find.

frickshun

I came in here to say “this is a retard discussion”. But I now realize that it’s a good question & I should stop being a dick for 2 minutes to give my MORE valid opinion:

I was a legit boxing fan for the last decade. Didn’t care too much about obscure fight history. But I watched every HBO & PPV. I watched Friday Night Fightson ESPN every week & watched Tuesday Night Fights regularly. Thanks to MMA, I realize now that I don’t care if I miss an HBO BAD show or even a bigger HBO fight. I didn’t even watch the last Super Six fight on Showtime…..too much effort.

I used to enjoy the NBA a lot (casual fan) & some NFL (at least 1 Jets quarter per game). Thanks to MMA, I don’t give a flying fuck about either. Win, lose, playoffs…..don’t give a shit. I would rather watch Prelims on Spike than an NBA game.

Not sure why. Probably b/c I don’t have a lot of free time (family, job, house, volleyball, gym). And when I do have a bit of free time, watching other sports kind of feels like a waste. I think all of us dreamed when we were young of being the next Michael Jordan or Emmitt Smith. Although we all realized we were not genetically destined for that path (or special in any meaningful way), it was fun to dream. Now we get to watch organized street fights IN MOTHERFUCKING HI-DEF!! Something that appeals to little boys since the 1st time you saw a sloppy playground fight in Elementary school. I’ve even accepted that it’s okay for my young daughters to watch the fights if they want to. Unlike my wife, they don’t wince when the blood starts spurting!!

pewnt

“Yeah, you didn’t do a very good job of reading my post, pewnt.”
    -Ok I get to be the kettle, you can be the pot.

Let me clear it up. I agree with your statement. So I reiterated it, and expanded with a couple statements, and a question of my own. I wasn’t disagreeing with you. I hold the same opinion as you in regards to PAC/MAY going head to head with the UFC in 2010. I know it may be odd that I agree with anything you say, but this time I do.

UFC cannot go head to head with two fighters in all of boxing, but they pull better numbers consistently. It’s not like UFC’s best show did 1.5 Mil, and boxing best is pulling 10 Mil ppv’s.

It’s only a matter of time (and not a long time) before UFC CAN out do the “big draws” in boxing even when going head to head on the same weekend.

If your not a boxing fan, then I’m not asking you “Who’s next?”.

Omomatta

Since I’ve started watching MMA the only thing that I’ve stopped watching is, I think, Worlds Strongest Man competitions. I don’t think they’re linked in any way….but it’s true. Also, I stopped watching the NBA….but that’s because I turned 14 and realized that it’s not as good as watching college ball.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Archives