twitter google

Every single Detroit teacher gets layoff notice due to spending budget problems

Home Forums Everything else Every single Detroit teacher gets layoff notice due to spending budget problems

This topic contains 10 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  KeilaH 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

KeilaH

The city of Detroit is lying off every single teacher employed by the city. Every administrator is being laid off also. Starting July 29, no educator employed by the Motor City may have a job because of the deeply troubled finances of the city. Detroit is being steadily depopulated as individuals flee. Resource for this article – Severe budget problems could get all Detroit teachers laid off by MoneyBlogNewz.

$327 million debt at Motor City

The public school system in the city of Detroit, Mich., is so plagued by financial problems the city is being forced to lay off every single one of its teachers and school administrators, according to CNN. To raise over $230 million to stay alive through August of the year, the Detroit School District issued emergency bonds in March while continuing to have its $327 million deficit. Though it was able to raise half a year’s budget, it was not enough, forcing drastic measures to be taken. Staff salaries were fired first. In Detroit, all 5,714 teachers are likely to get layoff notices. The school administrators will get them too. Detroit won’t be paying any teacher or principal starting on July 29.

Decreasing population nevertheless

Detroit, once a sprawling metropolis and industrial powerhouse, has been losing individuals steadily for more than a decade. In the last 10 years, about 25 percent of the population left the city. That means the same population as there was in 1910 is currently there. There is not anybody in a 3rd of the city. It just sits empty, states MSNBC. The school district has 10,000 fewer students than in 2001. The Detroit School District realized it was in a crisis in March when the Public Act 4 got passed by Michigan legislature. Now, state and local government hire financial managers to get some power. The law is being utilized by Robert Bobb, the emergency financial manager of Detroit’s public schools, as an emergency measure.

Some will keep jobs

Not all teachers who receive a layoff notice will really turn out to be fired. The financial manager Bobb is simply redoing all the Detroit schools. They will revolve around enrollment instead now. The collective bargaining between Detroit and the Detroit Federation of Teachers will also be redone by him. In 2009, an agreement comparable to this was made where teachers lost salaries and health benefits. Several suspect this same thing will occur. If the fiscal issues aren’t controlled, Detroit may have to deal with a state takeover, state Reuters. By 2014, Detroit could have a much higher deficit than the current $155 million owed. It might reach $1.2 billion by 2015’s fiscal year. Just like Bobb took over Detroit schools, an emergency manager could possibly be assigned by the state to the city.

Citations

CNN

money.cnn.com/2011/04/15/news/economy/detroit_teachers/index.htm

MSNBC

msnbc.msn.com/id/42612424/ns/us_news-life/

Reuters

reuters.com/article/2011/04/12/us-detroit-budget-idUSTRE73B5GT20110412

Letibleu

We already know what happens, its the ROBOCOP movie plot.

agentsmith

CAP

^problem solved

Omomatta

I think the intent of this thread is for the Jackals to ban together and save the teachers of Detroit?

G Funk

Good luck wit dat estoopid ho! That’s right, I called you estupid.

So should I leave this bit of spam up?

Omomatta

^^I hope you’re not talking to me skillet.

Voy a cortar una perra!

G Funk

Always gets me.

Omomatta

I’ve been brushing up.

Letibleu

Wev’e wanted, so that our kids to have spoke, just as good of english as we done.

Read that one out loud, its fucked up. Seriously.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Archives