twitter google

Deconstructing Dana, by Freiherr Edmund Geldedmunn

Home Forums MMA Related Deconstructing Dana, by Freiherr Edmund Geldedmunn

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  thingvolds 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

thingvolds

i recently came across this scathing critique of dana white by highly respected veteran mma journalist (and creepy old guy) eddie goldman. the following is an intro, followed by a link to the full piece. i thought some of you might enjoy it.

———————————————————————————————————

Once a Boxercise instructor, Dana White is now UFC president.

By Eddie Goldstein

The other day I was reading an article in the L.A. Times on how Showtime plans to get involved in MMA, when I happened to see some ‘funny’ comments by the former-boxercize-instructor-turned-UFC-president Dana White.

In the article, Showtime basically said that even though they would not interfere with the current contracts of UFC fighters, that ‘the game is now open’.

Former-boxercize-instructor-turned-UFC-president Dana White’s reponse was to say that Showtime’s involvement in MMA is ‘funny’. Dana went on to say the following:

“I talked to Showtime five years ago and they hated it. It’s always driven me crazy how people in the TV business are so unoriginal, and when something is hot they all try to jump in… Based on UFC’s success, get ready for a million more washed-up boxing promoters and unoriginal TV networks to try and jump on board.” -Former-boxercize-instructor-turned-UFC-president Dana White

Now, a few things really struck me regarding White’s comments. Let’s take a look at them, point-by-point:

1.) “It’s always driven me crazy how people in the TV business are so unoriginal” -Former-boxercize-instructor-turned-UFC-president Dana White

Let’s take a closer look at this statement, shall we? First off, this is the same former-boxercize-instructor-turned-UFC-president Dana White that originally (no pun intended) went on record to say he hated the idea of a reality series, when fans on the internet first proposed the idea to him. There would’ve never even been a UFC reality series if it weren’t for the fact his bosses stepped in to make the deal, against Dana’s wishes.

So they finally do the reality show, unoriginally riding the wave of the reality series phenomenon that had already swept the nation. And to top it off, his reality show format is basically a rip-off of the Boxing reality series called ‘The Contender’. And his made up grudge matches, where each fighter says that “this time it is personal”, has already been done in the WWE forever. Yet now he wants to be a hypocrite? Go figure.

2.) “when something is hot they all try to jump in…” -Former-boxercize-instructor-turned-UFC-president Dana White

Of course, in the world of the former-boxercize-instructor-turned-UFC-president Dana White it is perfectly fine to jump into the reality series phenomenon while it’s hot. Let’s go back even further… it’s also perfectly fine for White to jump into the original UFC craze after its original owners, SEG, already made it a proven success. But in Dana’s world, it is apparently not fine if anyone else does the same, especially when they try to jump into something he already tried to unoriginally jump into.

In this journalist’s humble opinion, it is just another in a long line of examples where Dana White’s bitterness and envy shines through, as if he were transparent. But wait, it gets even better…

thingvolds

http://fightsport.net/?p=12555

quite an interesting read if you have a few minutes, and enjoy the contrarian perspective.

thingvolds

*goldstein

frickshun

The part you posted was dumb as shit & poorly written. I’m all for contrarian but this dude is feeble @ best.

ghostboner

What frickshun said. After you repeat boxercize for the 20th time it just starts sounding like a highschool girl. Like I give a shit about all of Dana’s past jobs. I don’t.

Letibleu

Eddie Goldstein doesnt have a wiki entry. Goldstein, isnt that a South African name?

agentsmith

What ghostboner said.  I used to lifeguard and pump gas when I was in high school, neither is remotely relevant to my life or job now.

I don’t think you realize what Construction Washout Turned Hogwatching Pedophile Thingvolds has posted here.  Construction Washout Turned Hogwatching Pedophile Thingvolds is showing you the thoughts of well-known Pro-Wrestling critic Eddie Goldsomething who has always been critical of the Fertitias and Dana’s business practices.  Even Construction Washout Turned Hogwatching Pedophile Thingvolds remembers him being the one guy to give everyone favorite Xyence critic a platform to speak about the shady faux sponsor/energy-urine scam the Fertitas were pulling off, so I’m not surprised he’s being critical of Dana trying to get one up on the boxing promoters of whom Eddie claims he’s a failed cohort.  But, like Construction Washout Turned Hogwatching Pedophile Thingvolds I think he’s ignoring the context of the situation wherein Dana thinks of boxing promoters as a blanket term for people who ruined the overall sport of boxing like Construction Washout Turned Hogwatching Pedophile Thingvolds ruined the formerly fun forums, not as anyone who’s tried to get into the sport to (as I’m sure he sees it) help boxing.

In the post Construction Washout Turned Hogwatching Pedophile Thingvolds links to you can see he constantly mentions “contradictions” between Dana’s behavior and what he says.  Things like the reality show being something he hates, while ignoring that he may have hated reality shows but knew that the depressingly popular format would benefit the sport despite his own dislike for it.  But Goldman often dislikes this kind of humanity in businessmen and always tends to like what he covers (Puro, boxing or MMA) as no Regular fan actually does.  He’s the ultimate Real Fan of everything and humanity is always wrong, therefore marketing to that humanity is always wrong even if it eventually curates fans who can sympathize with him. Sorta like Construction Washout Turned Hogwatching Pedophile Thingvolds

frickshun

^^Ha!!

thingvolds

i didnt say i agree with it, just that it was interesting. im sorry if it hurt anyones feelings.

thingvolds

also, eddie is always going to hate zuffa no matter what. he worked for bob meyrowitz doing fluff pieces about the ufc and attacking pride for being fixed both in print and on his eyada.com (also owned by meyrowitz) radio show until zuffa took over. that is assuming it was actually eddie who wrote that piece.

thingvolds

DJ im sorry i ruined the original forums. i was unaware i did that until i read your post. i promise to try to be a respectable forum member from now on.

CAP

well well well

frickshun

HAHAHAHA……I’m telling you guys, you just don’t get Volds!! He’s the mostest awesomest troll b/c he’s stealth!!

G Funk

Volds strikes again!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Archives