When it was first announced that Cris Cyborg had popped positive for steroids, she claimed the whole thing was caused by a tainted supplement and that she would “willingly accept the penalties and fines that have been handed down to me by the California State Athletic Commission and those of the StrikeForce/Zuffa organization.” Since then she’s learned that people either haven’t bought her excuse or don’t care since they’d always suspected she was guilty anyways.
One particularly nasty exchange went on between Cris and Ronda Rousey a few days back on the twitters. Cris had posted a photoshopped picture of Gina Carano after the cyborg fight with “Next victim…Ronda!! No mercy!!” attached. Ronda, never one to mince words, replied:
That pretty much sums up the treatment Cyborg has been receiving since she popped positive. So it’s not that big of a surprise that she is now planning to appeal the steroids charge:
Cristiane “Cyborg” Santos has begun the process to appeal a one-year suspension handed down by the California State Athletic Commission on Jan. 6 for alleged steroid use, her personal manager confirmed to SI.com.
Santos’ manager, who asked not to be identified by name, said a response letter was mailed to the CSAC on Monday requesting a hearing in front of the seven-member commission.
CSAC Executive Officer George Dodd said Santos’ appeal would likely be heard at an April 6 meeting with the venue to be determined.
There’s very little chance Cyborg is going to have her suspension lifted, but I think that’s besides the point. Even with her statements of denial, people still think she’s guilty as hell. At the very least a commission hearing will allow her to get her side of the story out to the MMA press and community. Consider the whole thing one big PR exercise that paves the way for her eventual return in 2013.