On the heels of quite a bit of promotional work throughout the many FOX networks, the recent UFC Fight Night 59 card paid off, delivering the most viewership since 2009.
Conor McGregor’s recent win over Dennis Siver, coupled with a co-main event between lightweights Donald Cerrone and Benson Henderson, was watched by more than 2.7 million people. The event went up against the AFC and NFC championship games on FOX Sports 1.
In the final quarter-hour, which featured McGregor-Siver, 3,162,000 viewers tuned in, helping the show rank first on cable and second in non-NFL program on television in the key demos.
Check out the complete press release below:
Sunday was an historic night for the UFC on FOX Sports 1.
UFC Fight Night on FOX Sports 1: McGregor vs. Siver on Sunday, Jan. 18 scored 2,751,000 viewers according to Nielsen, making it the most-watched MMA event ever on FOX Sports 1 and the most-watched MMA event on ad-supported cable television since the UFC’s TUF Finale on Spike (12/5/09). Viewership for Sunday’s FOX Sports 1 main event peaked in the final quarter-hour, from 12:00-12:15 AM ET, with 3,162,000 viewers.
Additional highlights follow:
– On the day, UFC Fight Night was the No. 1 show on ad-supported cable and the No. 2 show on all of television, outside of NFL programming, among M18-34, M18-49 and M25-54.
– FOX Sports 1 was the No. 1 network in ad-supported cable during the fight (10:00 PM-12:15 AM ET).
– Sunday was FOX Sports 1’s third most-watched Sunday (6:00 AM-3:00 AM), averaging 522,000 viewers despite vicious competition form the NFC and AFC Championship Game broadcasts.
– Preceding the fight, the UFC preliminary card averaged 908,000 viewers, making it the second most-watched non-PPV prelims in FOX Sports 1 history behind the Rousey-Tate TUF Finale prelims in November 2013. Impressive, given direct competition with the AFC Championship Game broadcast on CBS. It peaked during the final quarter-hour (9:45 PM ET -10:00 PM ET) with 1,486,000 viewers.
– Post-fight, FOX Sports Live averaged 1,167,000 viewers from 12:15 AM ET-1:00 AM ET, making it the most-watched Sunday edition of the program all time.
– Sunday’s UFC Fight Night drove FOX Sports GO to its largest authenticated UFC audience ever, outperforming the previous high (10/4/14) by 59% in total unique visitors.